When we think of a dessert, one of the first things that come to our mind is a chocolate cake. And it isn’t surprising because not only is chocolate cake one of the most popular desserts in history, it is also irresistibly delicious. Now, how well do you know chocolate cake? If you aren’t familiar with it that much then worry because that’s what this post is all about. Listed below are some of the most significant fun facts about chocolate cakes that you should know about.
- The first chocolate recipe that can be found in a cookbook was released in 1847. The chocolate cake recipe was written by Eliza Leslie and was included in her book The Lady’s Receipt Book.
- James Barker was the name of the guy who discovered how to make chocolate in 1764. He was able to do it by using two massive circle-shaped millstones to grind cocoa beans.
- Chocolates were used to be exclusively made for wealthy people. It wasn’t until the start of the 20th century when it became more available for the masses.
- There are several types of chocolate cakes.
- The most expensive type of chocolate cake is Sachertorte. It is a Viennese cake made by Austrian Franz Sacher for Prince Denzel Metternich.
- German Chocolate Cakes aren’t made from Germany. Instead, it got its name from the renowned English-American chocolate maker named Samuel German. He was the person who formulated the kind of dark chocolate that is being used for most of today’s baking recipes.
- One of the biggest reasons why chocolate cake – and chocolate in general – is that it makes you feel better. How does chocolate do that? Well, it’s because cacao possesses a chemical that can stimulate one’s brain for it to produce more serotonin and endorphins. Aside from that, one more benefit of eating chocolate cake is that it also makes you feel ‘in love’ as another chemical found in cacao can activate the same areas of the brain that goes to work whenever you’re infatuated with someone.
These are just seven of the countless fun facts about chocolate cakes that you should know about. Yes, yes, we know that eating chocolate cake should be in moderation, but knowing all of these fun facts about chocolate cakes makes eating it feel a little less guilty, right? Also, take this as your sign to order a chocolate cake or bake yourself one!