If you’re looking for unique cakes for your upcoming holiday parties then you probably want one that is not only delicious but can also set the proper vibes going, right? Well then, we’ve got the perfect recipe for you.
Black cake, a common dessert in the Caribbean, is a tasty baked treat comprised of a cake that is infused with booze-marinated dried fruits and topped with something crunchy such as almonds. Traditionally, a black cake can take months to prepare and several hours to cook. Hence, why people of the Caribbean have always considered it as an actual work of love.
But here’s the thing, the Caribbean Black Cake recipe we have here will not require months to prepare as it only needs about three days. It will still have booze, dried fruits, and all the other things that will make the black cake one of 2020’s ultimate desserts minus the infamously long prep time. Read the following if you’d like to give it a try.
- 1lb of dried cherries
- 1/4lb of slivered almonds
- 5 eggs
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups of dark brown sugar (you can use light if that’s all you have)
- 1 cup of cherry brandy (with extra for when you need to add more)
- 1 cup of dark rum (plus extra for cake brushing)
- 8 oz of golden raisins
- 8 oz of pitted prunes
- 8 oz of dark-colored raisins
- 2 tablespoons of molasses
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of Angostura bitters
- 2 limes, zested
- 2 oranges, zested
- First off, you need to combine your fruits, cherry brandy, and dark rum in a single container.
- Allow your fruits to marinate in the liquors for 1-3 days. Make sure to stir them every once in a while.
- Preheat your oven at 250°F.
- Grease about two 8-inch baking pans and then line them with 2 layers of parchment paper. Then set aside after.
- Once your marinated fruits are ready, pour them into the blender along with your almonds. Blend the two until you get the perfect consistency that you want to work with. Set aside after. Quick note: you can add more brandy if you need the mixture to be thinner.
- Combine your baking powder, cinnamon, and flour in a medium-sized bowl with the use of a whisk. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar in a separate bowl using a stand-in mixer.
- Add your eggs one at a time and then follow with the vanilla, bitters, molasses, and your fruit zests. Always scrape the sides of the bowl so you can get as much as you can.
- Now, it’s time to mix your butter mixture with the flour mixture. Once the two are incorporated, add the marinated fruits and stir until the three are blended into each other very well.
- Pour your batter into the pans and pop them in the oven for an hour. Then lower the temperature to 225°F and let it bake for another 2 to 3 hours.
- Check if the cakes are ready by inserting a toothpick at the center and if it comes out clean, then they are baked.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Remove your cakes from the pans and right before you serve them, poke little holes on their tops, and brush them with more rum for a bolder flavor.
- You can finish the cake by adding extra golden raisins at the top as garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!