Christmas is fast approaching, so if there’s a perfect time to search for a cake recipe to try out for the holidays, it’s now. From the flavors and cake type to the colors and decorations, your Christmas cake must be as wonderful and festive-looking as the season. Sure, you can go for the usual chocolate or alcohol-infused fruit flavors, they are perfectly fine, but have you ever thought of trying something new? Presenting the Christmas Candy Cane Cheesecake.
This yuletide baked treat is a combination of the well-loved cheesecake and one of the most popular Christmas candies ever made. And here’s how you can make it.
*for the cheesecake
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of crushed candy canes
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 3 8-oz. of softened cream cheese bars
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
*for the crust
- 1 sleeve of finely crushed graham crackers
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 5 tablespoons of melted butter
- A pinch of kosher salt
* for the topping
- Extra candy crush canes for topping.
- More whipped cream
- First, preheat your oven to 325 F.
- Next, use cooking spray to grease an 8” or 9” springform pan. Then cover the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil before placing it on a baking sheet. Set aside after.
- For the crust, combine your salt, sugar, melted butter, and crushed graham crackers in a large bowl then mix well. Once all ingredients are properly incorporated with one another, pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press it as tightly as you can.
- For the cheesecake, you can start by beating sugar and cream cheese together in a large bowl using a hand mixer or the stand version.
- Then, as you’re beating the butter and sugar, add the eggs one at a time. Once they are all in, pour your flour, peppermint extract, salt, and sour cream into the mixture.
- Fold in your crushed canes and mix until the tiny candy pieces are spread out properly.
- Now, pour the cheesecake batter over your crust.
- Pop the pan in the oven and allow it to bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the cheesecake’s center jiggles slightly.
- Turn the heat off and open the oven’s door.
- Allow the pan to cool in the oven for at least 1 hour.
- After that, remove the aluminum foil and place the cheesecake in the fridge until it is completely formed. This should take around 5 hours to overnight.
- For finishing touches, pipe some whipped cream around the cheesecake and top it with more crushed candy canes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: Total time is (prep and cook) 8 hours and 30 minutes. The cake can yield 8 to 10 slices.