If you want to bake a dessert that is oozing with southern vibes then this Hummingbird Cake is a good choice. Hummingbird cake is a simple yet unbelievably delicious dessert with an easy-to-follow recipe that has been around for generations now. The great thing about Hummingbird cake is that although it may look like just a classic cake with cream cheese frosting, its taste will surely leave you wanting more.
So if you’re looking for the recipe that can help you make the perfect hummingbird cake then look no further because we have the one that started it all. That’s right, here’s how you can make hummingbird cake:
*for the cake
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour with extra for baking pans
- 2 cups of chopped ripe bananas
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of chopped toasted pecans
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 can of crushed pineapple with juice (undrained)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Vegetable shortening
*for the frosting
- 2 16oz-packages of powdered sugar
- 2 8oz-packages of softened cream cheese
- 1 cup of softened margarine or salted butter, your choice
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of toasted pecan halves
- The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Next, grease three 9-inch round pans with vegetable shortening and then cover them with your extra flour. Set aside.
- Put your sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl then mix them using a whisk.
- Add your eggs and oil then keep stirring until they are blended with the dry ingredients. Mix some more.
- Fold in your toasted pecans, pineapple, bananas, and vanilla.
- Pour your batter into the three baking pans you’ve prepared earlier.
- Bake them in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Check if they are ready by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean then your cakes are done.
- Place the cakes on top of your wire rack and let them cool in their pans for about 10 minutes. Then remove them from their pans and place them directly on your wire rack, allowing them to cool completely. This should take at least 1 hour,
- Prepare your cream cheese frosting while the cakes are cooling. To do that, you must beat your butter and cream cheese together using an electric mixer that is set on medium-low speed.
- Once the texture becomes smooth, slowly add your powdered sugar. Make sure to keep beating the mixture as you add the sugar.
- Add the vanilla to your cream cheese mixture and increase the speed to medium-high.
- After 1 to 2 minutes, stop the mixer and check if your frosting has achieved a fluffy texture. If it was able to then you’re done. Otherwise, beat the frosting for another 30 seconds to 1 minute if needed.
- Time to assemble your cake. Place the first layer on top of a serving platter and spread the frosting evenly on top of it. Next, stack the second layer on top of the first one and do the same. Finish with the final layer and remaining frosting. Make sure you’ll be able to cover the top and sides of your cake.
- Top with pecan halves and serve!
Note: Total prep + cook time for this cake is 2 hours and 20 minutes. It can yield up to 12 servings.