If you’re a fan of mangoes and vanilla custard then you’ll love this mango tart recipe. The mango partnered with the vanilla custard creates a heavenly marriage of flavors that will surely make your heart flutter. This recipe for mango tart is perfect for birthdays, bonding sessions with friends, holidays, and even summer parties!
Interested? Of course, you are. Here’s how you can make a Mango Vanilla Tart.
*for the crust
- 1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter set at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
*for the cream filling
- 1 and 1/4 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (you can also use 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla paste or extract)
- 3 large egg yolks
*for the toppings
- Thinly-sliced mangoes
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- To start this mango tart recipe, the first thing you need to do is prepare your cream filling. Put salt and flour in a bowl and whisk until they are mixed well. Set aside after.
- Next, place your butter in a separate bowl and beat it using an electric mixer until it achieves a light texture.
- Add the sugar to the bowl and keep beating until it becomes fluffy and even lighter. Then pour the eggs one by one while beating the mixture so they’ll get incorporated properly with the rest of the ingredients quickly. After that, dump your flour mixture into the bowl and keep beating until a sold ball of dough forms.
- Take the dough ball out of the bowl and place it over a floured surface. With the use of a rolling pin, flatten the dough until it achieves a disc-like shape. Cover it then with cling wrap and place in the fridge to rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
- While the crust is resting, apply some butter and flour on a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Next, take the dough out of the oven and unwrap it.
- Fit the dough into the tart pan you prepared earlier. Make sure to do it as gently as possible so you won’t tear the crust of your mango fruit tart. When you’re done, wrap the crust in cling wrap once more and place it in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Put a rack in the center of your oven and preheat it to 400 degrees F. After 15 minutes, take the crust out of the oven and unwrap it. With the use of a fork, prick the bottom part of your crust until they are tiny holes all over.
- Place the tart in the oven and let it bake for 5 minutes. After that, take the heat down to 350 degrees F and let the crust bake for an extra 15 minutes or up until it gets that nice golden-brown color.
- When it’s done baking, take the crust out of the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool down completely.
- To complete this recipe for mango tartlets, it’s time to make the cream filling. The first thing you need to do is combine your egg yolks and sugar in a medium-sized heatproof bowl. Next, sift your cornstarch and flour together in a separate bowl then add them to the egg mixture. Beat the two together until you get a paste-like consistency with a smooth texture. Set aside after.
- Put your vanilla bean and milk in a regular-sized saucepan and bring them to a boil. Once the milk starts to foam, turn off the heat and pour your egg mixture into the pan. Make sure to whisk constantly as you would not want the egg to curdle.
- Take the vanilla bean out of the mixture and scrape the seeds off it. Put the seeds then back to the egg mixture.
- Transfer the egg mixture into a medium-sized saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. You still need to whisk it constantly to prevent curdling.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, keep on whisking for at least 30 seconds to a whole minute. This will help the mixture have a thick consistency.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl then immediately cover its top surface with plastic wrap to stop the tup surface from forming a crust. Let the mixture cool down at room temperature.
- Time to complete this mango tart recipe. Pour the filling into your tart shell and let it chill in the fridge for a couple of minutes to an hour or until the cream filling becomes firm.
- Top with sliced mangoes and serve with your favorite drink.