Gingerbread has got to be one of the most common foods associated with the holidays. That’s why it’s not surprising how the number of web searches for gingerbread cake recipes would always skyrocket during the last few months of the year. Speaking of gingerbread recipes, there are tons of recipe for ginger bread cake entries that you can find on various baking-themed websites. That is good, however, with that number, finding the perfect old fashioned gingerbread cake recipe for you might be a little tricky.
To help you save time, we’re going to share one of the best homemade gingerbread cake recipes that we know. This vintage gingerbread recipe only requires a few ingredients and is also very easy to follow. Read the following so you can learn how to make this ginger bread cake.
- 1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2/3 cup of milk-flavored molasses
- 2/3 cup of boiling water
- 2/3 cup of dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- To make this easy gingerbread cake recipe, the first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Next, get a 9-inch square pan and grease it with a regular nonstick cooking spray. Put a thin layer of flour on it then set it aside.
- Whisk your baking soda, all-purpose flour, ginger, salt, cloves, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside when you’re done.
- Place your melted butter, brown sugar, boiling water, and molasses in a large mixing bowl then whisk them together. Once the mixture cools down to a lukewarm temperature, add the egg and keep on whisking the mixture.
- Combine all of your ingredients by adding your dry mixture into the wet one and whisking them together until it looks like a proper gingerbread cake batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and pop it in the oven where it should bake for 35 minutes. Make sure to insert a toothpick at the center to see if the cake is ready.
- Once the moist gingerbread cake is done, take it out of the oven and place the pan on top of a wire rack so it can cool down a bit.
- The gingerbread cake is best served warm. So after the easy gingerbread cake has cooled down a bit, slice it into squares, dust the top with powdered sugar, and serve with your favorite cup of tea or coffee.
Note: Total cook time needed to make this gingerbread cake is 50 minutes (35 min cook + 15 mini prep) and can yield up to 16 slices.