Fall is just around the corner. And with its arrival comes the resurgence of all the things we love about the season. From the noticeable cooler weather and orange-colored leaves to drinking pumpkin spice lattes and wearing cardigans, fall really gives us a lot of things to look forward to.
We don’t know about you, but it’s probably the desserts during the fall season that we’ve been dying to taste again the most. And one of the best fall-themed desserts that we can think of is the sweet potato cake. If you’re already familiar with this, then fantastic! You’re doing great. But if not, then don’t worry because here’s your chance to make and taste one. That’s right, check out the recipe below to know how you can bake yourself a delicious sweet potato cake.
- 2 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 and 3/4 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 cup or 2 sticks of unsalted butter set at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
* for frosting
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 cups or 7 ounces of marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup or 2 sticks of softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Chopped toasted pecans (for garnish)
- The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 350°.
- Next, grease two 9” cake pans and then line their bottoms with parchment paper.
- Whisk your flour, salt, spices, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl until they are well incorporated with each other.
- Cream your sugars and butter in a separate large mixing bowl. Once they’re light and fluffy, drop your eggs into the mixture one at a time. Add your sweet potatoes and vanilla, then keep on beating until they are mixed well.
- Add about half of your dry ingredients and half of your buttermilk, then beat low until they are appropriately combined with the mixture.
- Repeat the previous step with the remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk.
- Once the mixture is ready, divide it equally between the cake pans you prepared earlier.
- Pop them in the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes. Check if they’re done by inserting a toothpick at the very center. If it comes out dry/clean, then your cakes are ready.
- Take your cakes out of the oven and place them on a rack to cool down.
- Time to make your batter. Place your butter in a large bowl and beat until smooth with the use of a hand mixer. Add about half a cup of your powdered sugar, salt, and your marshmallow fluff. Continue beating until the texture becomes smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl and fold in the rest of your powdered sugar. Beat the mixture for about 1 to 2 minutes more or until it acquires a smooth texture.
- Take your cakes out of their pans.
- You may now assemble the cake (To do that, you need a cake stand and spatula. With that being said, we recommend BakersLove’s, Baking Kit). Start by placing one layer of round cake on your stand and cover its top with frosting. Please be careful with how much frosting you apply on the first layer as you will still need to cover the next one. .
- Stack the second layer on top of the first one and then cover it with your remaining frosting. Use the spatula to give it that smooth finish.
- Garnish your cake with toasted pecans.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: This cake can produce 12 slices, requires 30 minutes of prep time, and packs a total cook time of 2 hours.